Thursday, March 18, 2010

My Dance with Discipline

After 26 years of married life, attending church, raising children, and reading numerous books about all manner of day to day living, you'd think that I would have a very firm grasp on the areas of discipline and organization. Whether that be on a personal level or as a family, I should have had it down by now, right?!!!

Unfortunately, just the opposite is true. Truth be told, after all of this I find that I am "doing it wrong" (Mr. Mom). Oh, the indications were there, I was just too lazy to take control or felt I was battling against others who would not be willing to be on board with the changes that might be necessary. I had a very defeatist attitude.

The problem with a lack of discipline, whether it be in the area of finances, family, spiritual, or personal issues, can be far reaching and, for us, have led to some nasty results. And now that we've gotten to the point of all but imploding as a family, I realize it's time to make some very big changes. Out with the old, in with the new, but where to start?

  • Prayer: Ultimately, I believe my life is guided by the One that rules this universe yet loves me on a personal level. Being a part of his flock through salvation in His son, Jesus, I believe that I have the access and chance for help that comes with being part of a very special royal family. Crying out to Him for guidance, so that I am on the very best track, is the first and most important step.

  • Identifying problem areas: For us, it's everything. There really isn't anything that hasn't been touched by our lack of discipline, whether it comes to washing the cars or mowing the lawn, or bigger issues such as finances and spirituality. Identifying where we are weak will allow for a game plan that will help us restructure and move ahead with better results.

  • Charts & Lists: While my attitude in the past has been "why bother" since I felt I didn't have the support I wanted, I realize this was wrong. First, whether others decide to climb on board or not, it is still my responsibility in this family to lead the way. In other families perhaps it will be different but in our family I am the one that ultimately sets the tone for how things should proceed and I need to do just that. More to come as I figure out the steps to this dance. God bless you all!

1 comment:

  1. Linda,
    I so relate to your post. I to struggle with discipline in many areas of my life.

    ReplyDelete

Mojo Monday Challenge

Mojo Monday Challenge
MOJO106

Earth Day

Earth Day
"Backwoods" paper pack

Adventure

Adventure
"Backwoods" paper pack

Cherish

Cherish
Quick Quotes kit

Captured Moments

Captured Moments
Backwoods paper pack

Scrappin'

Scrappin'
Me and my friends, Susan and Ann, at the Scrapbook Expo in Pleasanton, CA. What a blast!

Christmas background